Monday, March 16, 2009

MARCH HOLIDAY LESSON 17TH MAR

A text-based question
- is half-way between a context question (which requires a simple often
short answer) and an essay (which requires an in depth and elaborate
answer)
- relates directly to the passage given
- requires a thorough and intimate knowledge of the text
- often requires the candidate to examine language, characterisation and theme
- often require a fair bit of detail and answers will usually be ‘mini-essays’

Parts to a text-based question

- One part will relate directly to events mentioned in the passage
- Another part will take the passage as a point from which a deeper discussion of the play as a
whole is required.


(Practice)


Read the following passage carefully and then answer the questions that follow:

EGEUS: Full of vexation come I, with complaint
Against my child, my daughter Hermia.
Stand forth, Demetrius. My noble lord,
This man hath my consent to marry her.
Stand forth, Lysander. And, my gracious duke,
This man hath bewitch'd the bosom of my child.
Thou, thou, Lysander, thou hast given her rhymes,
And interchanged love-tokens with my child;
Thou hast by moonlight at her window sung,
With feigning voice, verses of feigning love,
And stolen the impression of her fantasy
With bracelets of thy hair, rings, gawds, conceits,
Knacks, trifles, nosegays, sweetmeats, messengers
Of strong prevailment in unharden'd youth;
With cunning hast thou filch'd my daughter's heart;
Turn'd her obedience, which is due to me,
To stubborn harshness. And, my gracious duke,
Be it so she will not here before your Grace
Consent to marry with Demetrius,
I beg the ancient privilege of Athens:
As she is mine, I may dispose of her;
Which shall be either to this gentleman
Or to her death, according to our law
Immediately provided in that case.


Questions
1) What dramatic function does Egeus serve in this extract and
what impression do you get of his character from it? (12 marks)

2) Write briefly on the characters of Hermia and Lysander as they appear in their answers to
Egeus and Theseus. (8 marks)


Note:
@ You are not allowed to refer to the play.
@ Please submit your answers by the end of this lesson.
@ Scripts will be marked holistically.
@ Suggested answers will be posted up on www.mdsmrnytdrm.blogspot.com by Friday 20th
Mar 2009

No comments: